Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Haitian Relief

When I turned to CNN over the weekend I can't help that I wanted to see more. The devastation is incredible to see. So many stories of triumph and despair. It was also enlightening to learn more about the rich , but turbulent, history of Haiti. It is interesting to see what happens when a people are ripped from their own country, transplanted into a new land, revolt, and left to fend for themselves with little help. I guess this leaves a person or a people to choose. A choice between a positive road or negative road as a result of ones past.

Overall, what I have seen encourages me to be a better person. I will be a little different to that person I open the door for, assistance towards that stranger in need of help, or the least of us- the poor-person with their cup out. How much of a sacrifice will it take for me to give a nickel, quarter, or a dollar without judgement. The stories from CNN also reaffirms me teach my children to appreciate life and for them to live with responsibility to make this place a better world in their own way. I have also learned this weekend that it is not a matter of where you have been but it is a matter of where you are going.

My two cents. Have a great week.

Haiti History: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Haiti

1 comment: